Secretary Perdue, Governor Reynolds Pronounce October Cooperative Month
USDA Secretary Sonny Perdue recently proclaimed October as cooperative month. On Friday, Oct. 25th, Landus Cooperative will be on hand as Governor Reynolds signs the proclamation for Cooperative Month in Iowa.
Landus Cooperative Facts
- In FY 2019, shipped more than 70 million bushels out via all seven rail lines in Iowa
- Marketed SoyPlus and SoyChlor to nearly 20 countries across the globe
- Locations in 26 counties
- One of the top 45 cooperatives in the U.S. based on revenues and asset
- Approx. 7,000 members
- 600 employees in 60 communities
- Ag cooperatives account for 62% of total US agriculture sales of $395 billion
- Co-op farmers provide more than 190,000 jobs and wages > $8 billion
- More than 900 electric co-ops provide power in 47 states
- More than 18 millions homes, schools, and businesses are powered by co-ops
- About 1.2 million rural Americans in 31 states are served by 260 telephone cooperatives
- Credit Unions provide more than 275,000 jobs
Watch a recent CBS 60 minutes interview with Land O Lakes CEO, Beth Ford on the role of cooperatives in agriculture today.